Author Topic: problems with 2.2 ecotec  (Read 8532 times)

Online RickP

• Doin' my thing, my way
    • View Profile
problems with 2.2 ecotec
« on: December 19, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »
ok, my daughter in law drove her 2004 saturn ion to work on thursday and it wouldn't start afterwards. i went to try and jump start it but it made the unmistakable sound of no compression, first instinct was timing chain, no such luck it is still in one piece and tight, next was compression check, 0psi in all 4 cyl. is it possible that the timing chain jummped? i have never seen and engine lose compression in all cylinders. i really don't want to get into a ring job if i don't have to.
When this trip is over I'd rather look back and say "What the hell was I thinking?!!" instead of "I wish I would have tried that"
If life ain't fun . . . . You ain't livin' it right
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. . . then it's freakin' hilarious

Offline BLU-BY-U-II

• SPONSOR/VIP
  • Eaton Rapids Mi.
    • View Profile
Re: problems with 2.2 ecotec
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:49:33 PM »
If it has no compression on all 4 cylinders,,then it has jumped timing somehow,,defiantly not rings,,might have bent a bunch of valves 2

Online RickP

• Doin' my thing, my way
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:53:01 PM »
If it has no compression on all 4 cylinders,,then it has jumped timing somehow,,defiantly not rings,,might have bent a bunch of valves 2

thanks for the reply terry, that was my first thought when i saw that the timing chain was in one piece, but i can't figure out how unless the crankshaft sprocket has lost some teeth, the camshaft sprockest are good. next step is to pull the front cover and check the timing

since my last post i talked to my son, he said it has been using a lot of oil lately but the plugs are not oil fouled. forgot to mention it has 146000 miles on it. mostly highway between cleveland and detroit. with a few trips to upper mich.
When this trip is over I'd rather look back and say "What the hell was I thinking?!!" instead of "I wish I would have tried that"
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. . . then it's freakin' hilarious

Offline BLU-BY-U-II

• SPONSOR/VIP
  • Eaton Rapids Mi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 12:08:41 AM »
mileage isnt an issue here,,unless oil changes are few and far between then it could be the chain tensioner due to a plugged oil galley,,as far as it burning oil that can be the guides in these,but it probably bent some valves if the cam timing got off.

Offline asumtoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 03:04:13 PM »
A couple of issues we had happen to our CTS, no compression would not start after sitting.
1- Valves were sticking or hanging open. (Cleaned valves)
2- Lifters were bleeding down. (Replaced lifters)

Online RickP

• Doin' my thing, my way
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 11:09:06 PM »
mileage isnt an issue here,,unless oil changes are few and far between then it could be the chain tensioner due to a plugged oil galley,,as far as it burning oil that can be the guides in these,but it probably bent some valves if the cam timing got off.

oil changed regularly, the inside of the motor is clean, no sludge, i cranked it over until the timing marks lined up on the cam sprockets, when the exhaust is on the mark (copper link) the intake (silver) is one tooth off. seems odd to me that  it would jump there because they are so close together but that would explain the no compression. do you think one tooth off (advanced) would be enough to catch the valves? i'm going to change out the gears and sprockets and do a compression check, so i guess we'll see. btw the oil pump seems to be ok it floods the heck out of the head just cranking the engine over.  :grinnod:

A couple of issues we had happen to our CTS, no compression would not start after sitting.
1- Valves were sticking or hanging open. (Cleaned valves)
2- Lifters were bleeding down. (Replaced lifters)

thanks for the info. i have an dohc so no lifters and none of the valves are sticking.

Offline BLU-BY-U-II

• SPONSOR/VIP
  • Eaton Rapids Mi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:24:09 PM »
There are still lifters in the eco-tech,,there on the opposite side of the valve spring at the end off the cam follower/rocker arm..

Offline paulie

• VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 08:48:38 AM »
is it possible ya snaped a crank or cam just after the chain??? had that happen on a s10 once and had no commpression but rolled over fast as hell

Online RickP

• Doin' my thing, my way
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:04:54 PM »
i have the cam cover off everything is spinning ok not knocking or banging. what i can't figure out is how it skipped when she drove it to work, shut it off and it wouldn't start at the end of the day.

Offline MikeB

• VIP
    • View Profile
    • GBMBuggy Club
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 11:30:36 PM »
Rick, I can't believe you have a daughter-in-law that drives a car with an ecotec... :grinnod: I thought you're family only drove Fords :dunno:  :thumbsup:

Online RickP

• Doin' my thing, my way
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 12:04:29 AM »
actually mike she's not driving it right now.  :grinnod: she's driving the escape they just bought.

Online RickP

• Doin' my thing, my way
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 08:58:38 PM »
well a lot of questions have been answered, and defenitly not the answer i wanted. the reason the timing jummped is because the fixed timing chain guide bolts broke off. the one in the block appears to have been broken longer than the one in the head because the aluminum is worn and peened over the broken part of the bolt. the one in the head came out with the use of an awl and needle nose pliers. i have drilled the bolt all the way through but it still won't budge with an easy out. not sure how it ran with only the top of the guide fixed and think everything jumped when the top bolt broke.

any suggestions as to how i can get the piece of bolt out. i don't want to break off the easy out in the block but can't think of any other way. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline dodgeman97

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 09:14:05 PM »
keep in mind i know nothing about these cars but is there a way to drill it out and re tap it?
2005 Dodge 1500 HEMI
2010 Yamaha YFZ 450x

Online RickP

• Doin' my thing, my way
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 10:09:55 PM »
not enought room to get a drill unless i pull the motor. i drilled it with a flex shaft and a hex end drill bit.

Offline BLU-BY-U-II

• SPONSOR/VIP
  • Eaton Rapids Mi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 10:12:46 PM »
well a lot of questions have been answered, and defenitly not the answer i wanted. the reason the timing jummped is because the fixed timing chain guide bolts broke off. the one in the block appears to have been broken longer than the one in the head because the aluminum is worn and peened over the broken part of the bolt. the one in the head came out with the use of an awl and needle nose pliers. i have drilled the bolt all the way through but it still won't budge with an easy out. not sure how it ran with only the top of the guide fixed and think everything jumped when the top bolt broke.

any suggestions as to how i can get the piece of bolt out. i don't want to break off the easy out in the block but can't think of any other way. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
An easy way to remove broken bolts especially in aluminum is to take a nut thats a couple sizes larger than the bolt and using a wire welder sit the nut centered over the broken bolt and weld the broken bolt to the nut, let it cool until its not red anymore then just turn it out with a wrench,,might take a couple three times to get it but its never failed for us. We do it daily for many other shops/dealerships. The 3.1 and 3.4 GM heads break exhaust studs all the time and thats how we get them out..

Online RickP

• Doin' my thing, my way
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 10:35:11 PM »
thanks for the info terry, i have heard that you could weld a bolt to a stud to remove it but a nut makes more sense. i'll give it a try.

Online RickP

• Doin' my thing, my way
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 10:31:29 PM »
well after a little break for christmas it was back to work on the motor. my brother in law came over with his welder and this is the result.

he had to put a little weld on the stud to lengthen it then add the nut. thanks again terry.  :thumbsup:

Offline BLU-BY-U-II

• SPONSOR/VIP
  • Eaton Rapids Mi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 10:58:51 PM »
Kool,,glad it worked 4 ya,,pretty easy huh,,

Online RickP

• Doin' my thing, my way
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 05:58:53 PM »
after taking a break for new year's celebration and putting up my mom's new kitchen cabinets it was back to work on the motor. re-set the timing chain and blew air into no. 1 cylinder and could hear it in all the spark plug holes. you guessed it, got all 8 intake valves. so i guess it's time for a new head. what is the better route, getting mine redone or reconditioned one? i start pricing tomorrow.

Offline BLU-BY-U-II

• SPONSOR/VIP
  • Eaton Rapids Mi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 09:30:36 PM »
Just by new valves and drop them in,,Or on second thought,,,U need a new head and Ill take the old one.. :grinnod: